How do you remove mold from a life jacket?
There are 5 steps that can be followed to remove mold from hats:
- Depending on the material, first scrape the mold from the jacket outside to prevent mold spores spreading in your home.
- Allow the jacket to sun dry for a while preferrably on the clothes line so the jacket receives sunlight evenly. Many mold spores can be killed just by direct sunlight.
- Soak the jacket in cold water possibly with bleach if you want, (color safe for colors) and then machine wash in warm water with detergent.
- Lemon juice and salt in cold water has also been used with colored fabrics, as well as a vinegar solution to aid in smell removal.
- Allow the jacket to sun dry.
The jacket may or may not still have stains but the mold and dangerous spores will be gone. If stains persist, try washing the garment again.
Joslyn from the MoldBlogger team
Like this post? Pass it along!