There are 5 steps that can be followed to remove mold from hats:
- First take the hat outside, so as not to spread mold spores indoors, and brush as much of the mold off as you can.
- Allow your hat to dry in the sun for awhile, as direct sunlight can often kill many different types of mold spores.
- After plenty of sunlight has been distributed evenly over your hat, presoak it in cold water possibly with a bleach solution (color safe if your hat has colors in it) and then machine wash it with warm water and detergent.
- Lemon juice and salt in cold water has also been used with colored fabrics, as well as a vinegar solution to aid in smell removal.
- Hang your hat in the sun again to dry.
The hat may or may not still have stains but the mold and dangerous spores will be gone. If stains persist, try washing the garment again.
Joslyn from the MoldBlogger team