Removing Mold from a Wall with Alcohol

Professional Mold Removal

By Vincent Marone

One of the many frequently asked questions about mold is, “Why does mold grow indoors?” Mold is an ever-present part of the natural environment as its spores, or seeds, are continuously circulated throughout the air in search of a habitable place to start a colony. Mold spores are always both indoors and outdoors. However, mold colonies grow indoors when its spores find a damp, dark, and humid environment to thrive.

Suitable areas for colonies to grow are usually bathrooms, kitchens, basements, crawl spaces, attics, and garages. Due to the naturally high moisture content of these rooms, and in some cases the high humidity, mold colonies will grow on any organic, porous material found in these areas. Some materials mold tends to grow on are carpet, padding, drywall, insulation, wood, furniture, fabrics, and boxes.

Though other factors like darkness and cleanliness play a big role in the growth of mold indoors, the key to stopping mold growth in its tracks is identifying the moisture problem. It is important for property owners to understand where the moisture is coming from and why it has been able to grow mold.

Moisture issues can occur for the following reasons:

  • Leaking or Burst Pipes
  • Overflowing bath tubs, sinks, or toilets
  • Leaking windows, doors, or roofs
  • Flooding
  • Various other types of water damage

Before a professional mold removal service provider can properly assess the fungal growth, the moisture or water issue must be handled first in order to avoid further outbreaks. In many cases, mold remediation specialists are also capable of handling water damage service as well.

It is important to contact a professional mold removal expert to handle mold growth because of the potential hazards mold exposure can cause. Property owners should take every precaution necessary to ensure the protection of themselves and other members of the household by avoiding mold at all costs.

Mold can cause serious health hazards and allergic reactions like:

  • Skin Irritation
  • Eye Irritation
  • Congestion/Runny nose
  • High Fevers
  • Asthma Attacks

If it is absolutely necessary to be exposed to mold for a lengthy period of time, personal protective equipment like gloves, goggles, and breathing respirators (N95 or better) should be used to prevent a negative reaction.

Vincent Marone
Mold Specialist
http://www.si-restoration.com

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to “Professional Mold Removal”

  1. I have complained about leaks in my apartment for months. The leak got worse over my shower. It had bursted pipes in ceiling and it was going all in the inside of the walls. Everytime I am in my apartment or sleeping. Iwake up feeling sick. I end up with a upper respiratory infection and had to go to the emergency room for teatment. I am hiv postive

  2. Typically it’s always better to talk to a professional if you don’t know what you’re doing. In the very least go online and do some research! DIY methods only help so much with certain molds.

  3. Leaving mold removal to a professional is something every homeowner should know. Trying to fix the problem yourself can only make it worse. I work as a San Diego mold removal specialist and we get calls everyday from people who thought they could remove the mold themselves and now it has spread to other areas in their home. Great article, keep up the good work!

  4. I live in a rental and recently found mold and damage to the floor in the bathroom, right next to the shower. I also noticed that one of the exterior walls is “soggy” and there is a small leak in the roof on that wall as well. I notified the rental company and the woman sent her husband to fix it. All he did was spray the area with a mold inhibitor and screw a piece of luan over top of the damaged flooring. I have permission from the owner to install new vinyl since there was previously carpet in the bathroom, however the gentleman who is installing the vinyl will not put it over the patch job that was done by the property manager’s husband, since it is so unprofessional and does not fix the mold problem or the fact that the floor is weak and damaged in that area.

  5. I must agree that professional help is a must especially if you encounter these molds for the first time. It’s best to seek professional help to ensure that it’s done the proper way and ultimately to eradicate molds in our houses.

  6. Mold remediation can be costly, but if the alternative is loosing everything there is little choice in the matter. If you are a home owner and are competent about mold removal the EPA recommends any mold issues over 10 square feet be looked at by a professional.

Pages Linking To This Post

Leave a Comment

Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. You can also subscribe without commenting.