Skip to main content

Common Mold Trouble Spots in the Home

How Common Is Mold?

When we think of allergies, most of us immediately associate that with animals. If someone is allergic to a dog or cat, he or she likely won’t be a pet owner.

However, there is another culprit within the home that causes people with allergies to suffer on a daily basis if they are exposed to it.

Household mold is more common than most people think and it is the source of a great deal of discomfort for allergy sufferers.

Household mold is found in even the cleanest of dwellings and how often the home is scrubbed may have little to do with it.

There are several places within the home where household mold can take residence. It is these areas that a person with allergies will want to be aware of:

    • The basement or cellar:

Many homes have rooms that were built below ground level. These rooms are prime areas in which household mold can grow. The reason is that they are generally damp and colder than other areas of the home.

If you have a basement or cellar in your home inspect it on a regular basis for the growth of mold.

    • The bathroom:

It shouldn’t be surprising to learn that household mold finds a haven in the bathroom. The constant damp atmosphere is what mold needs to thrive. This is especially true in the bathtub and shower stall.

If these areas are not routinely disinfected, mold can easily grow in them.

    • The refrigerator:

Most people don’t associate their refrigerator with mold. Although you may leave a container of leftovers for too long and mold will grow, that’s not the type of mold that causes allergies.

Household mold can grow within the refrigerator if it’s not wiped down with a disinfectant occasionally.

    • Air conditioners:

Air conditioners need moisture to operate. In an effort to collect the excess moisture, most air conditioners come equipped with a drip tray. That drip tray is a perfect location for mold to develop.

If your air conditioner is removed and re-installed each year, the drip tray should be cleaned when it is removed. If it a permanent model, a schedule should be in place for the drip tray to be cleaned.

Are You Sensitive to Mold & Other Allergies?

Having allergies is an unpleasant experience for anyone, regardless of age. If you have allergies, you need to be proactive in ensuring that your home is free of all irritants. This includes household mold.

If you are sensitive to mold, you need to routinely clean all areas where mold can grow. This includes purchasing cleaning solutions that will kill any mold spores.

It’s also wise for someone with allergies to wear a surgical mask when cleaning areas where there are mold spores. If the problem has progressed to the point where the mold is visible, it’s important that someone else do the cleaning.

A person with allergies should never be exposed to a considerable amount of household mold because of the possible severe reactions that may occur.

Further Recommended Reading :

Joslyn from the MoldBlogger Team

Dangerous Mold: Who is at Risk?

How Do You Know if You’re At Risk?

If you suffer from allergies, you are probably aware of exactly what will trigger an attack. You work very hard to avoid these allergens mainly because you want to save yourself the discomfort and health complications associated with it.

However prudent they are with avoiding the things that cause their allergy attacks, not everyone who has allergies is aware of all their triggers.

The same is true of people who aren’t even aware that they are allergic to anything at all. They may find themselves having a serious medical reaction to a substance such as mold and have no idea why.


Who is Most At Risk?

There are certain individuals who are more at risk for developing complications when exposed to dangerous household mold. If you fall into one of these groups you need to be aware of your risk:

  • People with allergies:Although this seems obvious, it’s important to consider how they are exposed to mold. People with allergies to dust will realize that mold may trigger an attack. However, what if you aren’t allergic to dust, are you safe around mold? The answer is surprising.Many people are allergic to mold that is ingested instead of inhaled. This means that for a person without a dust allergy they can have a serious reaction if they eat something containing mold. Foods such as mushrooms, dried fruits and soy sauce can cause this reaction.
  • People with compromised immune systems:Our immune systems work to ward off illness and allergies. If a person has been through chemotherapy, is living with HIV or has an inherited autoimmune disease, they are more likely to react to being exposed to mold. Mold is a very strong allergen and for someone without their immune system to protect them, they can quickly develop complications.
  • People with lung disease:Just as a person with a compromised immune system may be more prone to complications caused by mold, the same is true of those with an underlying lung problem. Mold, when breathed in, can become lodged within the lungs. For someone with a lung condition, this can lead to a worsening of their symptoms or in some cases infection.


Why Does It Matter?

Although household mold is not safe for anyone, it can lead to serious problems for a person who is at risk. Most people who are not allergy sufferers don’t consider the health complications that can occur when exposed to something like household mold.

They may step into their shower each day oblivious to the fact, that the mold that can be found there is causing them to fill ill. Even when they visit their physician they may not come away with the proper diagnosis because the doctor has no idea that mold is a problem.

It’s important to keep mold under control before it does cause a problem. Keeping your home free of excess moisture is a good start. Properly cleaning any mold build-up will also keep you and your family safer and healthier.

Further Recommended Reading :

Joslyn from the Moldblogger Team

Want The Inside Scoop?