Skip to main content

Common Mold Trouble Spots in the Home

How Common Is Mold?

When we think of allergies, most of us immediately associate that with animals. If someone is allergic to a dog or cat, he or she likely won’t be a pet owner.

However, there is another culprit within the home that causes people with allergies to suffer on a daily basis if they are exposed to it.

Household mold is more common than most people think and it is the source of a great deal of discomfort for allergy sufferers.

Household mold is found in even the cleanest of dwellings and how often the home is scrubbed may have little to do with it.

There are several places within the home where household mold can take residence. It is these areas that a person with allergies will want to be aware of:

    • The basement or cellar:

Many homes have rooms that were built below ground level. These rooms are prime areas in which household mold can grow. The reason is that they are generally damp and colder than other areas of the home.

If you have a basement or cellar in your home inspect it on a regular basis for the growth of mold.

    • The bathroom:

It shouldn’t be surprising to learn that household mold finds a haven in the bathroom. The constant damp atmosphere is what mold needs to thrive. This is especially true in the bathtub and shower stall.

If these areas are not routinely disinfected, mold can easily grow in them.

    • The refrigerator:

Most people don’t associate their refrigerator with mold. Although you may leave a container of leftovers for too long and mold will grow, that’s not the type of mold that causes allergies.

Household mold can grow within the refrigerator if it’s not wiped down with a disinfectant occasionally.

    • Air conditioners:

Air conditioners need moisture to operate. In an effort to collect the excess moisture, most air conditioners come equipped with a drip tray. That drip tray is a perfect location for mold to develop.

If your air conditioner is removed and re-installed each year, the drip tray should be cleaned when it is removed. If it a permanent model, a schedule should be in place for the drip tray to be cleaned.

Are You Sensitive to Mold & Other Allergies?

Having allergies is an unpleasant experience for anyone, regardless of age. If you have allergies, you need to be proactive in ensuring that your home is free of all irritants. This includes household mold.

If you are sensitive to mold, you need to routinely clean all areas where mold can grow. This includes purchasing cleaning solutions that will kill any mold spores.

It’s also wise for someone with allergies to wear a surgical mask when cleaning areas where there are mold spores. If the problem has progressed to the point where the mold is visible, it’s important that someone else do the cleaning.

A person with allergies should never be exposed to a considerable amount of household mold because of the possible severe reactions that may occur.

Further Recommended Reading :

Joslyn from the MoldBlogger Team

Want The Inside Scoop?

4 thoughts to “Common Mold Trouble Spots in the Home”

  1. Will glass dishes left in the sink that has molded food particles make you sick? Is it necessary to throw away the dishes that contained mold or can they be cleaned in a way that it will not harm you later?

  2. Sharon,

    It is not necessary to throw away dishes that have had moldy food particles on them.

    Clean the plates with hot soapy water (add a few cap fulls of bleach if you want) making sure all visible chunks are removed. Run the dishes through the dishwasher as usual, and they will be safe for consumption use!

    Thank you for you question Sharon and have a wonderful day =]

    Joslyn from the MoldBlogger Team

  3. I have dishes that I purchased at Home Goods. They are ceramic and were made in Portugal. The kitchen cabinet I kept them in always had an earthy odor and I realized that some of the dishes had dirt like streaks. I washed all the dishes and sealed them in bags thinking it was an issue with the cabinet. My husband caulked all the seams of the cabinet and when I took the dishes out of the bags, they had the earthy odor and the dirt streaks, which my husband said is a mold. Why would these dishes develop a mold and what should I do? Apparently, the mold may be within the earthenware itself. Is that possible? I have washed them in bleach and am putting them through the DW again.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Want The Inside Scoop?