If you have experienced some unpleasant smells in your home, leading you to suspect mold is involved, but you cannot pinpoint the exact source, then you should likely be aware that water damage might be involved in what happened. Mold can hide in the most out-of-the-way places you can imagine, such as the back of a dry wall, under paneling, wallpapers, on top of ceiling tiles, under carpets and rugs and more. You can likely find mold growing around slightly leaking pipes as well as the surface of the walls behind large pieces of furniture in a moist environment, inside ductworks and under the roof materials used above the ceiling tiles.
- You should begin by investigating the issue as soon as possible before it spreads further, as that would seriously jeopardize your home in lasting ways. You should also keep in mind that disturbing these areas may potentially cause a dispersal of mold spores in the area as well. You should keep in mind that tampering with wallpapers and other areas may be a problem in such cases. If you have any doubts whatsoever that black mold is involved in this, you should do your best to contact a professional so they can assist you properly and safely.
- Biocides will be involved in the cleanup of such issues, but you should keep in mind that these are powerful chemicals that should not be taken lightly. Such chemicals will absolutely annihilate mold in their way, though you should not use them all the time. There may be need of professional help in some cases, such as times when people with low immunities are present in the household. You should also keep in mind that in most cases it would be fairly impossible to completely sterilize an area. Mold spores are tenacious and they tend to last a long time, so you will need to make sure you eliminate what helps them grow, which is moisture itself. If you choose to use any biocides you should make sure you keep the area well-ventilated to avoid any breathing issues. Make sure you never mix ammonia and chlorine bleach or you will have a dangerous, toxic reaction on your hands.
- You can also use an antimicrobial spray once the area has dried off completely. Giving it such a treatment will keep the mold at bay for a long time. This can be very effective in basements and other larger areas at risk of high moisture, but you may need to fog the entire room to have a lasting effect.
- You should also make sure you’re using mold-resistant materials when you’re building new rooms or even building a home. These will be an excellent counter to the ever-present issues with mold most houses face and they won’t be affected by high moisture levels. You can do that by using pressure-treated wood, strong and rigid insulation and paperless drywall.
- Use mildewcide paints in high-humidity areas, as they will contain an antimicrobial treatment, which keeps mildew and mold away from forming on the surface or underneath it.