Skip to main content

How to Get Rid of Mold

Understanding how to get rid of mold is something that all homeowners should know. Even if you don’t see mold in your home right now, that doesn’t mean you won’t have to battle with it later. You may also have mold growing in areas where you don’t commonly look – like under the sinks, for example, where it can be very damp and small leaks can go unnoticed. Most homeowners don’t think about checking there.

How to get rid of mold, though, depends on the extent of the problem that you have with it. Some mold issues are very easy to handle, and others, like a black mold infestation, require a professional mold remediator (we have some tips on choosing the right one) to deal with them because of their size and/or severity.

“So, How Do I Get Rid of Mold?”

Knowing how to get rid of mold on your own is a great way to keep costs down and protect your family and pets from the sicknesses that can come from mold exposure. Of course, some removal jobs are too big to tackle on your own. Knowing when to get a professional is important.

For small infestations, cleaning them thoroughly is usually all you need to do. Use a cleaner that’s specifically for mold and mildew, use a bleach solution, or simply use soap and warm water. If you’re cleaning sheetrock or drywall, don’t soak it heavily. That can keep it from drying properly and cause more growth later. Cleaning the moldy area won’t solve the entire problem, though, because you have to stop the spores from coming back.

Fixing Mold Problems Yourself

To do that, you need to find the source of the problem. It could be a leaking pipe, it could be from flood damage or another type of water damage, or it could be just a buildup of moisture in a kitchen or bathroom where there’s a problem with proper ventilation. Finding the problem and fixing it has to be done – and you might need to get a professional to fix it for you.

Simple things like tightening a loose pipe fitting are easy for a homeowner to handle, but if you have more serious issues or you need an exhaust vent put in so you can get the moisture out of your bathroom or kitchen, it’s best to call in a professional. That way, you’ll know the job is done right.

Calling a Mold Remediator

Sometimes mold removal is too big of a job for a homeowner to handle. If that’s the case for you, you can call a mold remediator. They know how to get rid of mold, and they can help you by making sure mold is removed from your house and the problem that caused it is taken care of. It’s a great way to get larger infestations removed and keep them from coming back in the future.

Want The Inside Scoop?

15 thoughts to “How to Get Rid of Mold”

  1. I’ve been told I’m a handy kind of guy. Years ago I was thinking about what could get rid of mold on books and their paper pages. It came to me why not microwaves. What I tried was wiping the mold with a solution which would kill the mold such as a mild solution of chlorine bleach(just enough on a cloth to dampen the mold)and then putting the book in the microwave to dry out the paper, which at the same time kills the mold.

  2. This is a great post, very informative, I just want to add how to control and prevent mold. Moisture control and water intrusion prevention is the single most critical element in preventing mold growth inside buildings.

    High humidity and temperature levels inside buildings can also cause moisture through condensation, resulting in fungal growth and contamination.

    Immediate drying, cleaning and/or removal of water-damaged building materials must be performed within 48 hours of the initial water damage in order to prevent mold growth.

    Sources of water intrusion should also be identified and corrected as soon as reasonably possible or the mold will return.

  3. I agree completely with your post. Once you know about the problem, clear up the moisture problem first. Then assess the size and complexity of the clean up job. If you can handle it use the various cleaning agents available and make sure to wear protective gear to avoid exposure. Great article!

  4. We have white mould growing both inside and outside on the exterior brick and wooden porch plus stone porch walls.

    This mold has penetrated much of our garden and almost immediately kills the plants and spreads rapidly.

    On stone and stainless steel and other metals it leaves a rust coloured residue.

    In the house it has spread throughout and appears as a white stain. I notice it is now in our closet so I will have to clean that as I`ve already found holes in some clothing. I have found it in the strangest places such as the base of our gas fireplace, in the fridge and believe it or not in the dryer where it appeared as black.

  5. I run into small mold jobs all the time as I buy and flip homes. I am also a Realtor and from time to time run into some heavily infested mold properties. A mold remediator here in Indiana uses products that really impressed me. We have used EcoGuard for our large jobs but for our small jobs, we go to and order the products ourselves. They are simple to apply and have always worked well for us. We especially love the stain remover product called MMR. It blows my mind every time I see it in action. Good luck!

  6. I’ve moved out of the home that had mold and cleaned every single item, but I still smell that mold chemical smell. I really don’t know what it is. Should I throw all real wood away? Should I throw away all items that aren’t real wood? Is my new home now infected? I’m so poor from this sickness that I have no money left to get any help. I’m so lost and so sick that I almost want to give up trying to figure this out. I’m so weak from all this crap, I’m to the point that I want to die, and if I am dying this can only be descriped as a very slow excruciating death!

  7. Katherine, depending on the level of damage, it is probably safest to throw wood items away. Mold gets deep into the pores and removing it entirely is practically impossible. Don’t give up, Katherine. Do you have any local support that you can draw on? Can you get connected with a local church? If you are struggling with the symptoms and you don’t see it getting better you should do your best to get yourself into a new environment. Hang in there!

  8. I think I have water getting into the block foundation/basement of my home which makes the black mold on the basement walls keep coming back. How do i treat the water in the block walls? I have cleaned the walls, painted them with kilz and the mold keeps reappearing.

  9. Currently we are having a mold issue here in our office at work.
    We carry smells of mold home in our clothes and cars, noticed by family members even strangers have mention the smell while in our presents.
    We employees have noticed syptoms
    of tiredness, fatigue, dizzyness ( vertigo ) coughing, and sore throats.
    So we searched our place of business.
    We’ve discovered white mold in our attic space above our office.
    It is feeding on moist blown-in insulation, cause by a roof leak.
    All the wood in the attic looks fine,
    just a thin white layer of mold covers much of our insulation.
    The smell travels throughout our office and warehouse areas, and customers even smell it in our parking lot. It escapes through the roof’s vents and flows into our parking lot and then is drawn back into our building by our exhaust fans which pull in outside air through our doors & windows.
    So we are having a contractor remove the effected insulation, clean the attic, and reinsulate. But the office furniture, carpet, papers will have to be replaced .
    Wow. Simple maintenance neglect has caused a lot of work, DO preventative maintenance, Seal cracks, leaks, old roof shingles, etc. before its too late.

  10. hi ya i have black green and yellow molld on the walls in my kids bedrooms landing kitched and livingroom my sons room is the worst my landlord sed just lack of ventilation but i have all my windows open everyday but mold is getting worse kids are sleeping in same room as me at the momemnt were there is no mold and they seem to have colds but never usually get them so bit worried that its the mold causing this environmental health said he can go bk in his room but its covered in black mold and dont want to put his health at risk as i dont agree with what the environmental health person said as i have looked up mold and damage it can cause to health they are not prepared to fix the problem or remove the mold from the rooms and living has become a problem what shud i do and are my childrens health at risk due to the mold

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Want The Inside Scoop?