Skip to main content

Lakeisha in Greenbelt, Maryland

I am a resident of a county funded housing program. I have been living in Franklin park apartments (location of program) since november ’10. Since moving in we have made numerous requests for apartment maintenance. The issue finally became unbearable when about four months ago, we noticed the bathroom ceiling leaking(around the ventilation fan).

After numerous calls to both the maintenance workers of the program and complex, they came and went to fix the leak in the upstairs apartment. At this time I explained to the workers that not only was the ceiling cracking but it was buckling in the middle and that everyday it seems like new mold is popping up along the cracks. However it must not have been important enough cuz nothing was down.

Now I have 4 small kids that have all fallen ill from continuous breathing in of mold spores(dr. Confirmed). This is frustrating because I don’t know what to do or who to contact. I have been given the run around time and time again. These people and their lack of concern are putting my babies (the oldest is 4, the youngest is 6mos.) at risk for serious long lasting breathing issues, and I’m mad.


What can I do, we’ve tried high concentrated bleach solutions but to no avail?

Alice in Rockville, Maryland

Hi there. I think I may have mold in my air ducts/vents – I hope it’s only there and not in the drywall. At first I noticed a stinky sort of smell in a spare bathroom that I rarely use and turned on the bathroom vent and that seemed to clear it up. Then I noticed the smell once or twice in the hall but not in the bathroom. Several days later I noticed the smell in the bathroom again but this time the bathroom vent seemed to make the smell worse. This probably has been happening over the course of a month and just in the past few days I noticed the smell in other parts of the house. I’ve started researching mold inspectors to have this checked out as soon as possible.


In the meantime I must be breathing in the mold spores and am wondering what risk I’m putting myself to. Should I be looking at staying with friends or in a hotel, spending as much time as possible out of the house? Should I stop using the AC and open all the windows and use fans? It is in the upper 90’s in DC right now which may be why this problem has gotten worse in a short time. And at what point do I involve my insurance company? Sorry for the million questions but this really has me freaked. Thanks for any advice!

Want The Inside Scoop?