Skip to main content
wooden computer table

Mold Stories – Jeremy Shelton

My name is Jeremy Shelton, and I provide all of the mold testing and mold inspection services performed by SafeAir Certified Mold Inspection.  I founded SafeAir Certified Mold Inspection in 2009 after discovering a severe mold problem in the crawlspace of the house I had just purchased. The mold growth in the crawlspace of the residence was polluting the air in the living area of the home, and I developed health problems as a result of the indoor type mold spores I was breathing.

Shortly after moving into the home I developed severe sinus congestion and suffered from sporadic headaches as a direct result of the toxic mold spores that I was breathing every day. Initially I was unable to discern the root of my health problems. My sinuses were dry and clogged, I felt fatigued all the time, and the headaches became more frequent. Initially, I attributed my sinus congestion to airborne allergens like pollen and my other health problems to stress. Over the course of about a year my symptoms slowly worsened and my quality of life began to suffer as a result.

Still unaware of the mold infestation in my crawl space, the headaches and fatigue were finally impacting my life to the point where I decided to consult with my physician. After multiple visits and tests, I still didn’t have an explanation. Eventually I discovered what seemed like a never ending nightmare in my crawlspace. Rain water was consistently entering the crawlspace of the home, providing the perfect environment for mold to thrive. The resulting infestation covered most of the wood components underneath the den. The structure was covered in a layer of mold that I can best describe as a thick white powder. The support beams, supporting the structure of the home, were damaged beyond repair and had to be replaced.

After having spore trap air samples collected in the crawlspace and upper level of the home, it was discovered that there were elevated levels of Aspergillus / Penicillium and Stachybotrys mold spores in the air in both the crawlspace and living area of my residence. After this discovery I decided to move from the residence, and my sinus congestion, headaches, and fatigue cleared up quickly. I then began doing as much research as I could on the subject of mold growth in homes, which eventually led to my first certification course as a Certified Mold Inspector and Assessor and my company SafeAir Certified Mold Inspection was born shortly after.

Jeremy Shelton, CMC
Certified Microbial Consultant
SafeAir Certified Mold Inspection

Want The Inside Scoop?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Want The Inside Scoop?