Skip to main content

Recognizing And Removing Mold Is The First Step With Your New Bathroom Design

We would all agree that mold is a nuisance, especially in the bathroom, but what many don’t know is that it can also be a major health hazard. Some types of mold can aggravate allergies, cause respiratory distress or even be life threatening. Because of this, it’s important to assess any mold infestation before you begin a bathroom remodeling project. Never leave any type of mold untreated during a bathroom design renovation.

What is mold?

Mold is a fungus. It grows from tiny spores that float in the air. When these spores land in a moist, temperate environment they grow and multiply. The range of what they find temperate is large, from between 40 and 100 degrees Fahrenheit. That includes most damp areas in any home.

Signs of Mold

The most recognizable type of mold fungus is mildew. Mildew is generally a surface problem and easy to eliminate using any product containing bleach.

Many times mold problems are undetectable until surface staining or a strong, musty odor appears. Once you suspect a problem below the surface it’s important to expose the infested area. If it’s a wall, cut away mushy drywall past the point of damage. If you don’t get rid of all the mold, it will just grow back.

Often mold can cause rot to set in. If mold is found in wooden studs or joists these must be treated or replaced.

The most notorious type of mold fungus is black mold. This fungus is highly toxic and must be treated with the utmost care. When dealing with black mold it’s recommended that you get a professional to clean and treat the area.

Mold can be very difficult to categorize without testing, so if you find a high concentration of mold it’s always advisable to have it tested. You can contact a professional in your community or get advice from your local health department.

Cleaning Up The Mess

There are certain safety precautions that should be followed when cleaning out a concentrated area of an infestation. Since spores travel through the air, it’s important to protect the rest of your home when treating an area. These simple precautions can keep you and your family safe.

  • Wear old clothing that can be cleaned or disposed of after the project is completed.
  • Wear gloves, goggles and a respiratory to avoid inhaling the spores.
  • Keep the room isolated from the rest of your home.
  • Turn off the heater or air conditioner, and block the air ducts in the infected room.
  • Make sure the area is well ventilated to the outside.

The bathroom is more susceptible to mold because of the near constant dampness, so when you decide to makeover your bathroom be sure to do the appropriate inspections to insure that no mold is present. And if there is even the slightest trace found, be sure to take the appropriate measures to get rid of it or you could be facing many issues and even health problems in the future.

Want The Inside Scoop?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *