Skip to main content

Amber in Omaha, NE

I moved into this house in July of this year (2014) on a friend’s recommendation. It is next door and her husband is the maintenance man. Great deal! Zero deposit if I clean up after the last tenant. I got the first and second floor done before I had to be out of my other home, then I moved in. Then I began on the basement. I had noticed the storage room before, but there was no bulb in the socket. I put a bulb in and noticed that the socket didn’t work right. I had to partially unscrew the bulb to get it to work and it instantly turned hot, but it worked long enough for me to see that half the walls were black. The top half of the walls were white and painted, but the bottom half of the wall paint had been eaten through by whatever black stuff is growing. There was a wooden bed frame in the room as well, completely covered in green mold.

 

I also noticed that the new ceiling tiles in the kitchen (below the bathroom), have black spots from an obviously un-repaired plumbing leak.

 

I contacted the landlord along with a list of other repairs that needed to be done. He assured me it would be done by the end of the week. Here it is, September, and NONE of the repairs in the house have been made even with my continuous nagging. He’s also raised the rent by $150 a month.

 

My son is having severe respiratory problems and so are my cats. I’m trying to find a new place to live, but don’t have the best credit.

Mold3

Mold-Kitchen

Mold2

 

Want The Inside Scoop?

One thought to “Amber in Omaha, NE”

  1. When my company, The Environmental Solution, did a mold inspection for a client renting an apartment in Omaha, Nebraska a few years ago, it was discovered that there was potentially ‘deadly’ mold not only in her apartment but also throughout the building. Our client took the test results down to the county/city officials and the building was immediately condemned with all the families given notice to move out at once. The mold report can and is used as evidence in court cases involving these type of environmental hazards. Our recommendation to Amber would be to have testing done by a professional mold inspector. If the landlord is not willing to pay for this, then she may want to do it herself. It would be wise to put everything from the apt. into a storage unit after it has all been sealed in plastic. Then she can decide how to proceed once she has her test results. Many household items and personal effects are best being destroyed by fire unless there is a way for them to be properly treated. No one should live, work, etc. with potentially deadly mold lurking in their space. This landlord needs to have his feet held to the fire so to speak and should hold full responsibility for the remediation of this ‘sick building’ if in fact it does have mold that is recognized as harmful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8GLz3GuobU

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Want The Inside Scoop?