When we rented a beautiful home, we were unaware of a leaking problem in the basement, we have been here 10 months and there seems to be mold growing on the walls in the basement and even a mushroom was growing at the bottom of the steps through the carpeting. We are moving, and are concerned because our landlord decided to paint over the moldy walls and said he cannot afford to take care of the problem properly.
He is planning on re-renting, obviously, and we are concerned that the next family may get sick, as we have. We also lost thousands of dollars worth of belongings that were stored down there (which we didn’t ask him to recover for us) what should I do? should I report this to anyone? Please, any advice appreciated. Thank you.