Two years ago, in a trilevel home the bathroom floor on mid level began rising. Turned out water was leaking somehow and flooring had mold under it. Pros came and estimated $12,000 to properly remove mold and fix leak and make home “habitable” again.
Landlord scoffed, had russian immigrants rip up floor, install new floor, and paint bathroom with new sink & lighting.He sprayed laundry room ceiling with a white vinyl sealant to “lock in” the mold that was present, making the ceiling white again.
The drywall in bath was still damp apparently and mold grew thru the new paint. Water still leaked below into laundry area, dripped on your head when doing laundry, so we quit using that bathroom completely. No more drips but house has smelled moldy ever since. Ceiling turned black again even through that vinyl stuff. Lived with it, don’t ask me why.
Lately, even though bathroom is never used, water has leaked a little infrequently and mold smell is becoming worse daily. Ceiling above washer has turned completely black and adjoining downstairs bath smells horrible and its ceiling and wall are growing black mold now. Entire house REEKS and I am now moving in the next 4 weeks, have already moved one truckload and packed several more, packing daily. I’ll bet the repair bill will exceed $50,000 now if the home is not condemned totally.
WHY didn’t the landlord have insurance fix the house right when he had the opportunity? I just hope my health is not permanently harmed; I use Advair for asthma, an inhaled steroid without which I can’t breathe…..!!
If you have house insurance, why would you not have such a repair done properly? When mold can ruin a home? Old plumbing needs to be replaced with new. This house was built in 1969, not so old. My mother’s home was built in 1906 and never had this problem!
Also, does the sore in the picture of my arm look like it could be caused by mold? It grows and I scrape it down and it grows back, I must be crazy for not going to see a doctor but I am so busy and time goes by so fast, I never have time, and I never thought it could be caused by mold. This is Insane!!!