The Health Effects of Mycotoxins
No one is very comfortable with the idea of mold. It’s slimy and smells bad and just is generally distasteful. Even the word “mold” is an ugly sounding word. You wouldn’t even imagine eating a piece of cheese or slice of bread that has mold on it. And yet, when it comes to mold in their home, many people are surprisingly complacent. The smell might be annoying, but not annoying enough for many to want to spend time, money, or effort getting rid of it. This idea is potentially disastrous; despite being seemingly innocuous, mold in the home can be very dangerous. Even if you don’t come into physical contact with the mold, it can still affect you. A number of different types of mold especially forms of black mold, release airborne spores known as mycotoxins, which can enter the human body through the respiratory system and cause a number of adverse health effects.