Exposure to toxic mold can wreak havoc on the human body. Sometimes, when a person is continuously in an environment with high levels of harmful mold it can cause symptoms and health issues that can be difficult to reverse, even after removing the mold from the surroundings.
Mold is an opportunistic fungal microorganism that needs moisture, darkness, and decomposing organic material (nutrients) to survive. The spores (reproductive agents) are most-often carried on air currents, floating in and out of human living spaces by the thousands (sometimes millions). In other cases, the spores land on a person or animal and are then transferred from one possible habitat to another. As long as there is a dark, damp, and warm place with spoiling food, dead insects, wood, or even dust (which originates from human skin cells), mold can grow just about anywhere it lands.