Skip to main content

Washing Dishes – Are Those Sponges and Cloths Harboring Mold?

Are my dish towels dangerous? 

Have you ever picked up your dish sponge or dish cloth and realized that it had an odd, musty smell to it? That’s mold. A lot of people don’t think about it. They just assume it’s a normal part of using a sponge or cloth, and they don’t realize that they might be putting their family’s health at risk because they’re using something that could be harboring dangerous mold. More and more people are using dishwashers so that they don’t have to worry so much about the cleanliness of their dishes, but for those who don’t want to use a dishwasher or just don’t have one, keeping dish cloths and sponges clean should be a top priority.  

If dish washing sponges are contaminated with mold, what can I do about it? 

Each time you use your dish sponge or dish cloth you should wring it out thoroughly and let it dry completely. You should also make sure that there aren’t any food particles stuck in the material, because they can help mold and other unpleasant substances start growing. If you want to make sure your sponge is even cleaner you should get it thoroughly wet and put it in the microwave for one to two minutes, or allow it to run through a full wash and dry cycle in your dishwasher.  

Two full minutes of microwaving a wet sponge or one dishwasher cycle can kill ninety-nine percent of the living organisms in it, and that includes mold spores. Make sure that you let the sponge cool before you remove it from a microwave because it will be very hot, and never microwave a dry sponge because it could catch fire. Not everyone has a microwave, either, and if you’re one of the people who doesn’t you can make up a bleach and water solution and soak sponges and dish clothes in it. However, it won’t do as good of a job as the microwave or dishwasher when it comes to killing mold.  

Is my family in danger? 

Most people don’t get sick from washing dishes with sponges or dish cloths that smell musty, but that doesn’t mean that it won’t happen to you, and getting sick from mold is very unpleasant. Even if you don’t encounter major problems from it, you and your family will still have an increased chance of allergies and other common sicknesses because you’re being exposed to mold spores each day. Taking the time to make sure that sponges and dish cloths, as well as other dish items like bottle brushes, dry thoroughly is an important step toward keeping your family healthy.  

Any time there are items in your home that stay damp for any length of time mold growth is encouraged, so add bathroom towels and clothing to the list of items that you’ll need to keep dry. Kitchens and bathrooms are the worst places in a home for acquiring mold because they are the places where water is most often used and where the humidity is the highest. While you can’t possibly keep everything in your home completely dry all the time, ensuring that any damp or wet items can dry quickly and thoroughly is the key to preventing mold growth.  

 The MoldBlogger Team

Want The Inside Scoop?

2 thoughts on “Washing Dishes – Are Those Sponges and Cloths Harboring Mold?

  1. Mold is becoming a problem in many homes, nursing homes and retirement homes across the world. More than half of all homes in America have at least one type of mold growing within so just think about the mold that can be growing in a nursing home. Many of the residents in nursing homes already have low-immune systems so when they are threatened by mold it can result in very serious illnesses and infections and will even lead to cancer.

    If you suspect that your loved one is being exposed to mold while living in a retirement home or assisted living you should request for that nursing home to have a mold inspection done immediately to ensure the safety of all of the people staying in the facility. Do whatever it takes to have this inspection done and if you have to hire a Certified Mold Removal Specialist yourself to come in there and inspect the property you should do it. Exposure to mold will guarantee that your family members will continue to deteriorate and will prevent them from living a happy life.

  2. I use a clean dish cloth every day. However, I continue to have “black” areas develop on the cloth. This can develop in a matter of 1-2 hours. I wash the cloths in bleach. I do not get the black areas every day and cannot fathom where it comes from or what it is. I have a new kitchen sink and a bronze faucet. Help!!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *