Mold Spores are Everywhere
According to Phoebe Yin, mold spores are everywhere, floating in and out of our homes. These spores reproduce in moisture which is why limiting moisture in our homes is so imperative for mold prevention.
Besides from just seeing the red, green, and black colors of mold, it also gives off a musty smell and causes asthma like symptoms.
She says there are six main ways of preventing moisture build up:
- Run a fan or open a window for 20 minutes after showering or bathing.
- Make sure to ventilate whenever doing laundry.
- Wash your bathtub or shower as well as the toilet with borax as often as possible. Borax kills mold.
- Use a Dehumidifier.
- Once a week, wash windows with a solution of 20% white vinegar.
- Every once in a while sprinkle baking soda on basement carpets followed by a good vacuuming. (Or remove the carpet all together)
Further Recommended Reading :
Joslyn from the MoldBlogger Team
Source: Phoebe Yin, ND