Mold is a common and necessary part of our world. This type of fungus is useful in decomposing organic material, and is part of nature’s garbage disposal system. It is when mold begins growing in places we do not want it (such as in our homes) that it becomes a serious issue that can negatively impact our health and the longevity and safety of our house. That is why it is important to regularly check and evaluate the mold risk of the place in which we inhabit.
As any seasoned reader of MoldBlogger will by now know, mold is most commonly caused by moisture, humidity and lack of ventilation. It stands to reason, therefore – what with the likes of plumbing leaks and badly insulated pipes – that walls commonly fall prey to this fungal fiend. Not only can this cause health problems but also structural ones, so definitely not something to ignore!
What else do you need to know?
If you have a mold issue on the walls of your home, it can be an unsightly view. The black and green spots don’t typically make for a beautiful home. Mold grows quickly so if your walls are wet, they may quickly become covered in it. Looking for a quick fix and wondering if you can paint over mold?
Painting over mold is one of the most common methods to hide mold. But that is the problem – you are only hiding the mold temporarily. Many people choose this solution because it is the quickest solution to hide the ugly signs of mold on their walls. Often, when people choose to paint over mold it is because of ignorance. They simply are not educated about the seriousness of mold in the home. However, it is all too common for landlords, propery managers and even some homeowners to paint over mold because it is the cheapest and fastest way to cover mold.
The CDC reports that mold spores may easily enter your home via openings to the outside, such as doors, windows and even the cooling and heating system intake vents. They can attach to your clothes and remain dormant until favorable conditions are met, leading to their revival and growth. All mold needs is warmth and moisture to bloom into life, thus your bathroom makes the best place for it to thrive. It is very important to remove mold from your environment, as it can easily find its way into your respiratory tract and into your lungs, causing issues with those of us suffering allergies or asthma. The following tips will cover what you can do to keep them away from the walls of your home: