Toxic Black Mold
Usually associated with the nasty back and green patches on the walls, mold is the non- scientific term for a wide variety of fungi. These organisms thrive in damp, warm and humid environment and can evolve both indoors and outdoors. Mold is not only unsightly and smelly, but it is also potentially dangerous for human health.
Toxic black mold in particular can be quite hazardous and can trigger an array of symptoms. Also known as Stachybotrys chartarum, these fungi feed on organic materials such as carpet, insulation and drywall, while releasing spores. These spores are then inhaled or ingested, causing a range of unpleasant and sometimes severe health issues.
Discomfort and Tiredness
Toxic black mold may cause the immune system to release sedative called Chloral Hydrate, used to slow down the effect of the fungi. As a result a person may feel tired, dizzy and weak. Chronic fatigue, headaches, nausea, chest pain, fever, vomiting and diarrhea may also be related to toxic black mold exposure. Cleaning the mold patches right away will minimize the chances of any health issues in the future.
Like other types of indoors mold, toxic black mold may also cause allergic reactions. Keep in mind that allergies are just the body’s response to the external particles. Thorough cleaning of areas such as the carpets, walls and window molding will prevent mold infestations. A long-term exposure to black mold weakens the immune system, making it more sensitive to different allergens. Runny or nose, sneezing, watery or itchy eyes, skin rash and irritation, sore throat and shortness of breath are some of the allergic reactions black mold may trigger.
One of the most common health effects and symptoms of black mold exposure are associated with a respiratory response. This type of fungi produces trichothecene mycotoxins that are one of the most volatile and resilient types of mycotoxins, that can be found on the airborne spores of the mold. Thus they can easily penetrate the human body through inhalation. The mycotoxins then cause irritation and burning feeling in human’s air passages like the mouth, throat and nasal cavity. Difficulty breathing, chronic coughing, asthma, sore throat, wheezing, runny or stuffy nose are some of the signs that you may be exposed to toxic black mold. The spores can even get into the sinuses and the lungs resulting in serious breathing problems and bleeding in the lungs. Regular house cleaning with proper tools will keep the toxic airborne spores away.
There is another danger to trichothecene mycotoxins. They can kill the neurons in the brain, impairing a person’s mental ability or causing nervous disorders such as mood swings. Other symptoms include confusion, disorientation, slowed orientation, brain fog, seizure and even anxiety and depression. To keep the mold infestations at bay, perform frequent domestic cleaning and aerate the moist area.
If you are concerned about being exposed to toxic black mold turn to your physician. They can perform an allergy test for you and a physical examination to identify any worrying signs. If you spot any black mold infestation, remove them immediately or call professional cleaning company.
Heather Roberts is a freelance guest blogger from London, UK. She has got many published articles on various topics such as domestic cleaning, stain removal, home organizing etc. She loves to spend her time with family and friends and she also tries to live an eco-friendly life.