Toxic Black Mold
Usually associated with the nasty back and green patches on the walls, mold is the non- scientific term for a wide variety of fungi. These organisms thrive in damp, warm and humid environment and can evolve both indoors and outdoors. Mold is not only unsightly and smelly, but it is also potentially dangerous for human health.
Toxic black mold in particular can be quite hazardous and can trigger an array of symptoms. Also known as Stachybotrys chartarum, these fungi feed on organic materials such as carpet, insulation and drywall, while releasing spores. These spores are then inhaled or ingested, causing a range of unpleasant and sometimes severe health issues.
Mold is a serious problem. It is known to cause respiratory problems and other health issues. Detecting and removing mold is difficult because it tends to show up anywhere that water does. Carpet mold is very serious. It often develops beneath the carpet fibers. This makes it hard to detect. A leak in one part of a house can trickle into another. This leads to nearly invisible carpet mold.
Black Mold Is Scary!
Hearing about mold can be scary, especially if it’s in your home or business and it’s making you and other people sick. It can poison your family, your co-workers, your friends, and even your pets. Most people think green when they think of mold, but black mold, or Stachybotrys, is actually a very common problem in damp or water-damaged areas (Stop mold after water damage) and it can be very dangerous. (7 ways to know if a mold is dangerous).
Mold is everywhere, and toxic molds often take root within homes and other buildings. Water leaks and damp environments fuel the fugal growth and the proliferation of mold spores in the environment. Once mold is discovered, a safe and effective treatment is necessary to prevent further damage to building structure and the health of those who are exposed. One common cleaning method, chlorine bleach, is neither a safe nor often a effective solution. However, essential oils are becoming known as a harmless and potent method to fight molds.
If you are in the process of purchasing a home, then you are probably aware of the myriad of steps that you must go through before reaching the day you close. Your broker or realtor may have already informed you of the necessity for a pre purchase inspection. The purpose of a pre purchase inspection is to identify any potential serious defects in the home. The possible defects could range from roof damage, plumbing issues, or even electrical problems. At this point in the home purchasing process, you could still choose another home in the unlikely event that a major problem with your original choice was detected during inspection. One issue that you will definitely want to have your inspector perform is a mold inspection.
Although mold can be found in almost any environment, there are certain types and quantities that can put your health at risk. Mold is a fungi that thrives off warmth and moisture, quickly reproducing by sending spores that travel through the air until they find a surface where they can grow. There are thousands of different types of mold but only a few types that are commonly found indoors; some of these being especially toxic to many people. If you have signs of mold exposure, it is important to seek medical attention and have the mold removed from your environment.
Information on this all too common problem…
In the great outdoors mold plays a vital part in the environment. Mold is one of the few things in nature that can digest wood. Even termites cannot properly breakdown wood, they can eat it but they cannot digest it, instead they rely on one celled organisms in their digestive tracts to break it down.
Even the well known beaver, with a reputation for eating wood cannot readily digest wood. Beavers are mostly eating the more digestible inner bark of trees and then, mostly in the winter when their favorite foods are buried under snow and ice. Read More
Under many common conditions mold can be serious, and given time could possibly lead to severe health complications. In this five part series I hope to tackle and explain some of the biggest misconceptions about mold.
Misconception 2 of 5 – If you have a mold problem bleach will get rid of it, always and forever.
I hear this one a lot. If a mold problem develops, many will grab some bleach, pour it on, and think they’ve kissed their mold problems good bye. If this is the typical scenario, their battle with mold has only just begun.
If you happen to spot any black mold in your home, you must do everything you can to remove it as soon as possible before the infestation spreads throughout your home. Black mold is very toxic to humans and animals, being the source of serious health issues. There is a bit you must know about the mold itself before you try to focus on cleaning it. We still recommend you look for professional help when you’re handling things as this is a dangerous task. The following tips will give you some idea about what you can expect:
Mold is not a topic that most homeowners want to think about. If they are discussing mold, it is likely because they have discovered some mold in their home. Mold can be dangerous and costly. If you have found some mold, you are most likely trying to determine how to get rid of it. Mold has no place in the home, and you should absolutely take steps to remediate as soon as possible.
You may be wondering if you can do the remediation yourself and if so, what type of chemicals or cleaners you should use.
Bleach is NOT the answer for many mold issues.
Be honest. What is the first chemical that comes to mind when you think of cleaning up a mold problem? Is it bleach? Chlorine bleach is often regarded as the answer for removing and halting mold growth. It is usually the first thing many reach for when cleaning a mold contaminated area. While bleach may be effective in certain applications, it will not exonerate mold on a porous surface. Bleach can actually contribute negatively to certain mold problems. This blog post will explain three reasons why bleach should not be used to combat mold and give better alternatives for you to choose from if you have a mold problem in your home.
If Mother Nature has proved anything this year, it’s that she can flood some of the most random areas at will. Water damage can take its toll on just about any object reducing it to useless trash. The same can be said for the home. Prolonged water damage can cause a variety of problems later on including the development of severe mold infestations.
If you have recently washed your carpet or you have issues with excessive moisture in your home, then you should be aware that it is a situation where mildew and mold may grow well. This is an excellent opportunity for them to use the abundant water present in it as a nourishing source of food, which makes it doubly important for you to keep your carpet clean and dry as often as possible so you won’t have it be the host of such growth. Many people are allergic to mold and mildew so you will do well if you avoid having it in your home where it may eventually enter your lungs and your body. The following tips will give you some insight into what you can do to keep it out of your life. Read More
Mold and mildew (both are types of fungi) thrive in dark, damp environments where organic material is present. So it shouldn’t be surprising to find mold in a basement. Mold is especially fond of cellulose-rich materials like wood, paper and fabric; but it can also take hold on leather and even on paint that contains organic resins like linseed oil.
Molds are developed as spores enter the home and attach themselves to an area that has experienced great amount of moisture. This is why it is imperative to maintain your plumbing correctly. Flooded basements should also be taken seriously as black mold could take hold in the drywall and other materials. What are some common side effects to mold being within the home?
By Vincent Marone
In some cases, mold infestation is easy to identify. Most mold infestations cover large areas. Many home and business owners encounter black or green slimy mold that has a noticeable odor. However, what happens when mold spore counts are high but mold is nowhere to be found?
By Vincent Marone
One of the most frequently asked questions about mold is, “What is the difference between mold and mildew?” While mold and mildew have many similarities, including the conditions in which each can grow and thrive, striking differences can result in damaged property or substantial health risks to those who come into contact with it.
Whether it’s a strictly utilitarian space or a carefully decorated and designed oasis where you unwind in a bath after a long day, your bathroom is one of the most important rooms in your home. What you may not realize, however, is that it can also be one of the most dangerous. There are several things that can pose safety risks in your bathroom, and most homeowners aren’t even aware of the hazard. These are ten of the most common hidden dangers present in bathrooms, and ways that you can restore your restroom to a relative level of safety. Read More
A properly installed vent fan is an essential weapon against bathroom mold.
Most people understand that mold likes moisture. That’s why bathrooms are so vulnerable to mold. Water that gets onto the bathroom floor after showering or bathing is an obvious concern. But waterproof flooring materials like ceramic tile or sheet vinyl do a good job of minimizing the mold potential of water that gets on the floor. Of greater concern is moisture in the air –moisture that can permeate wall and ceiling materials because of poor bathroom ventilation.