If you have found mold in your home, you are most likely wondering how much you can expect to pay to get rid of it. Of course, mold is a serious condition and must be remedied right away. You’ll want to take immediate steps to identify and remove the mold while also fixing the source of moisture that led to the environment which allowed mold growth.
When you are deciding whether to take care of the mold yourself or call in a professional, consider these questions.
How much mold is in your home?
How deep has the mold gone? It can be difficult to assess how much the mold has grown beyond what you can see without a proper mold inspection, especially if it is hidden deep into walls or cracks and crevices. Surface mold is much easier to deal with and contain. There are many sprays and soaps that are made to kill and remove mold. Many homeowners may even be proficient enough to replace drywall and insulation on their own. The real problem arises when the mold has gone airborne or has gotten into several structural elements of the home. And sometimes it can be difficult to know how far the mold has traveled.
What caused the mold?
It is greatly beneficial to determine the source of the moisture that caused the mold when determining whether or not you should perform your own mold remediation. Obviously, the source of moisture must be remedied as well as the mold. Knowing the source of moisture may also help you determine how much mold is present, especially if you know how long the moisture has been an issue. For example, you may know that your roof started leaking from a small hole a month ago which may help you determine how much mold is present and how deep it has grown. Perhaps you had a flood or other known source of water into your home.
Again, the problem arises when there are unknowns. Even if you find the source of the moisture, can you be certain on the length of time exposed and how deep the moisture has traveled? If you are uncertain, it is best to call in the pros.
The health and safety of your family is much more important than the price you’ll have to pay to remove the mold, but this guide will help you if you need to get a bid.
If the area is a small one, you can remove the mold yourself with just a few dollars worth of cleaning supplies. If you’re concerned about breathing the spores, you can get a respirator, which will cost from around $25 for a simple over the mouth and nose version, to around $150 for a full face professional level unit. If you’re unsure if you need a respirator there are 7 ways to know if a mold is dangerous. For large infestations, it’s time to call in the pros.