Skip to main content

Do we have a case?

0

My wife and I live in Santa Monica in a rent controlled apartment and we have recently been relocated due to mold being discovered in the walls by a certified inspector. Prior to the discovery, we noticed signs of mold coming through the drywall near the electrical outlets. We made a maintenance request to check it out months ago (February 2019), but the management only had a worker paint over the mold. As time went on, my wife and I started to get sick over and over. Even our poor cat has been struggling with what looks like an upper respiratory problem for almost half a year now. We’ve taken her in for multiple rounds of antibiotic treatments while not knowing if there was systemic problems. As of yesterday we’ve learned our downstairs neighbor has been suffering from the same problems and worse. He and his dog are both sick and have been relocated. He has told us that he has tested positive for mold poisoning. He”s a fun guy… sorry. Humor helps. The mold was apparently caused by a broken hot water pipe at the bottom of the building causing hot steam to rise up through the walls of the building. Yes, that means the mold was making us sick through the wall. My wife has a doctors appointment on Monday. Any advice you could give us would be incredibly appreciated since this is all very new to us. Thank you!

Want The Inside Scoop?

Marked as spam
Posted by (Questions: 1, Answers: 0)
Asked on August 15, 2019 6:36 pm
24 views
Private answer

Document all that you can. This article on Renter Rights and Mold may be helpful (https://moldblogger.com/renter-rights-and-mold/). Thank you for sharing. This happens far too often!

Marked as spam
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 22)
Answered on October 28, 2019 10:44 am

    Want The Inside Scoop?