Skip to main content

Christina in Ottawa, Ontario

Mold in the closet! All over our clothes and ruined a bunch of hats. The smell could knock you out. My boyfriend got very sick and turns out he’s allergic. There is tons of black mold. I’m worried for my 3 year old.

Denise in Toronto, Ontario

I did not know what it was at first, but I have been smelling mold in my apartment kitchen since moving in 2.5 years ago. Property management said it was the age of the cupboard and painted a sealer in the cupboard which seemed to help for a while but the smell came back. I thought the problem was solved when they changed the counter top last September, but with all the rain this spring, I started smelling it again in mid-May and not just in kitchen but on other side of wall in living room.

I called an environmental group who said it sounds like mold is growing in the wall. Notified property manager, but of course no response. Called Health Department who claims they don’t smell anything and said it has to be visible. Purchased a mold test kit and sent sample in for analysis. Shows three types of mold – alternaria, aureobasidium and cladosporium but spore count is not high because it is hidden. Can’t use AC because when I close window smell is worse and I am coughing. Even with all windows open, sometimes have to open balcony door. Smell is the worst early in the day while still cool.


Is there any point pursuing this with Property Management or anything I can do or should I just move?

Kaayla in Surrey, British Columbia

My family (husband, two dogs and two cats) and myself had rececently move – we found a place which we thought was absolutely perfect! On an acreage in the city, gorgeous tall cedars and a creek down below. What could be more perfect for the dogs! Lo and behold, our landlord neglected to mention that he has one heck of a moisture problem in his basement and kept blaming it on the surrounding grounds. The musty smell was the first indication and the fact my husband who is diabetic was having a hard time breathing. I kept getting nosebleeds. This was all within the first 3 weeks. We had a mold test done (a kit bought from Home Depot) and we had the 3 most common molds found, the black mold being the least.

We pointed out the problem to him on many occasions and my husband even went so far as to show him the whitish patches on the floor boards and joices downstairs stating this was mold and that he needs to remediate the situation. That was 3 weeks ago! He has done nothing. We are pumping out over a gallon of water per day with the dehumidifer he lent us – at least it keeps the smell at bay.

On June 30, I get the pleasure of giving my slumlord a Notice of Vacate as we bought a house and are moving in July 22! I feel absolutely sorry for the people that rent this place, nice looking on the inside, pretty surroundings but comes with a silent and harmful gift!


Want The Inside Scoop?