Home ยป Mold in Jamaica

Mold in Jamaica

by Joslyn

Moisture: The Reason for Mold


With Jamaica’s recent hurricanes, moisture has caused Mold to be a major problem in the homes and lives of local Jamaicans.

What are they having to deal with?

— It’s necessary to deal with the problem as it can cause burning and watering eyes; nasal and sinus congestion; skin irritation and coughing. It can also aggravate medical problems like asthma, allergies, conditions which weaken immune defences and lung disease, especially in the elderly and the young.

But what of the musty smell that usually accompanies the fuzz?

“Once the place is dried up … the odour will go away,” Mrs. Hincliffe said. This might be easier said than done, judging from the little sunlight we have had since the rains that have pelted the island for so long. —

Read the rest of ‘Mold in Jamaica’ at Moisture: The Mold Problem

6 Tips for Removing Mold

1. Protect your eyes, nose and skin when cleaning mould.

2. Fix the source of the water problem or leak to prevent mould growth.

3. Clean and dry any damp or wet building materials and furnishings within 24-48 hours to prevent mould growth.

4. In areas where there is a perpetual moisture problem, do not install carpeting (i.e., by drinking fountains, by classroom sinks, or on concrete floors with leaks or frequent condensation).

5. Clean mould off hard surfaces with water and detergent, and dry completely. Absorbent materials such as ceiling tiles, carpets, linoleum that are mouldy, may need to be replaced.

6. Clean drapes and carpets when they can dry properly.

Further Recommended Reading :


Joslyn from the MoldBlogger Team

Source: Sacha Walters – Staff Reporter for the Jamaica Gleaner News

Want The Inside Scoop?

Related Articles


Chuck January 6, 2009 - 5:22 pm

After a hurricane or flood Mold can rear its ugly head. Clearly, in such a situation you must extract all the water/mud, etc.

The problem is that the whole time you are working in this environment you are breathing in air filled with Mold/Mildew and other bacteria.

My company provides state of the art air and water purifiers called Pro Activ Ox. These products are patented because they produce high allotropes of Oxygen that kill mold, mildew and bacteria in the air, water and on all surfaces.

You would start by plugging in the air purifier, (insure it is in a dry outlet or use an extension cord from a higher floor) crack a window slightly and let it run for a few hours before trying to extract the water. You want to keep the Active Oxygen concentrated in the air.

You can keep the machine running 24/7 as it is safe to be around and very effective. Then start extracting the water and once that is finished, you can rinse down the area and clean the surfaces, but there is no need to use chlorine bleach. If you use our Aqua purifier then you can have sanitized water to clear the surfaces. Just use soap to clean the stains off the surfaces. When everything is clean, it will be a good idea to run some fans to help the area dry and continue to run the Activ Ox air purifier. The air purifier will kill all mold/mildew and other bacteria and eliminate all the odors in the area within 78 hours after the area has been cleaned.

To learn more please visit our website at http://www.EPT-LLC.com; please feel free to call us if you have questions

Moe May 30, 2009 - 10:56 pm

Most materials should be thrown out if they are wet and moldy. You can put baking soda on wet mold to dry it out fast. Alcohol can dry mold out also.

Charmaine brown December 14, 2016 - 8:19 am

Hi good day where can one contact you. Am having a mold issue in my son room. I have leaks which can be the problem

Lloyd Rodney August 21, 2018 - 1:00 pm

I have a mold problem at my house.
Please advise me or how to contact you


Leave a Comment

Want The Inside Scoop?