Home » Understanding the Dangers of Toxic Mold

Understanding the Dangers of Toxic Mold

by Joslyn
toxic mold

What Is Toxic Mold?

Stachybotrys is a greenish-black mold that is often known as toxic mold, or black mold. This type of mold is often more dangerous than other white molds, such as food mold.


Highly dangerous toxins are released into the air by Stachybotrys, and breathing anywhere around the infestation of mold can cause serious health risks.

There are also other dangers of living with this toxic mold, including damage to the home that can be costly to its overall value.

What are the Dangers of Toxic Mold?

Since a house doesn’t have to be subject to a natural disaster for Stachybotrys to grow, it is important for all homeowners to know the dangers of this toxic mold, so that if they suspect their house is affected, it can be dealt with immediately. Leaks, high humidity, and poor ventilation are all possible avenues that encourage mold growth.


Preventing mold is the best thing a homeowner can do, and leaving a known patch to grow beyond contamination is only asking for one or more of these dangers to knock on the door of your home.

Further Recommended Reading

Want The Inside Scoop?

Related Articles


10 Health Risks of Toxic Mold - The Mold Blog November 12, 2007 - 7:41 am

[…] Understanding the Dangers of Toxic Mold […]

desray January 8, 2009 - 5:58 pm

what can mold do you children if they are living in the house with it

Nancy March 23, 2009 - 10:47 am

dark spots started to appear thru wall covering in my dining and living area…started to pull the paper off and found what appears to be mold..no water seems to be on the outside walls of these rooms…what could be the cause???

Rose July 19, 2009 - 7:54 am

We have mold in our basement several different types growing onour walls. We have hd testing done and in the process of correcting this problem.

My question is I have cabinets in thebasement in which I store extra containers (plastic and paper goods) for left overs etc. These cabinets are growing green mold and there is a oder inside when I open these doors the odor is horrible is it safe to use these containers both plastic and paper or should I dispose of everythiong in these cabines including all the aluminum trays and plates? Also there are plactic utensils such as spoons and forks? Please help?

Jamie November 7, 2011 - 12:04 pm

We have black dots, and large bubbled wood under the paint, wet black dots on the metal, and puffed up wood that is tilted and slanted; this all is on our windows and ledge on the inside of our home. we’ve become sick, with a cold, and we have a cough, dry cough, grose colored gew that we spit up (loogies), and we are tierd all the time, but when we arn’t home, we feel fine.. whats wrong????

martha February 5, 2012 - 4:10 pm

i would like you to please sent me a website that would show me a video of hw mold gas enter a human lung and what effect it has on a human in video ,becouse im working on a science fair project…thnk u.

Richard Bilofsky July 17, 2012 - 8:23 pm

Just found BLACK MOLD inside a house where 3 small children have been living for 6 1/2 years (the age of a new house built by KB Homes). What do I do now?? Please call me @ 908-875-4807

jessica July 1, 2014 - 3:26 am

my boyfriend is haveing the runs,vomiting,heart burn,head aces,feals full no Hungary,im very worried about the mold i found in the room that we r staying in my friends basement?i told my friend and she doesnt doesn’t beleabe me and gave me bleach to put on it but hes still sick ?please help me with this??

rebecca bates December 22, 2014 - 2:13 am

We have black mold growing in our bath room, n in our hallway… We have a 13 month old little girl… My husband knows about the mold n the danger of it n wat it can do to us but he acts like he doesn’t really care, like he’s not that worried about it… I need help, I just don’t know wat to do…!!!

Yolanda M. Macaraeg June 3, 2015 - 5:38 pm

I’ve been living in a home which has mold in the bathroom, on all the windowsills, and in the walls for over 16 years. My husband’s parents own the home, and ignored my concerns about it. My son has lived here since he was two, and has been diagnosed Asbergers (he’s 20 now) I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, and Intractable Migraines. We both have ashma. I’m getting more & more ill by the day. I wake up every day with a bad headache which often turns into a bad migraine. I’m dizzy, and I have fallen more times than I care to think about. Are we sick due to this untreated mold? and what are the responsibilities of my in-laws who did nothing? I am trying to move out and the inspector found mold. My in-laws tell me to sell the house, “as is”, but what about the damage to our health?

malissa lana November 12, 2015 - 10:24 pm

Hi my apartment is black mold infested i am sick so bad i didnt relaize thats why i live at the oro villa and its been flooded over 4 months started Back n august every day and my kitchen sink is so modeling underneath we had to cut around the complex all over 3 inches up its so wet 24_7 and the smell horrable i pulled out my rugs and still have none they haven’t fixed a dam thing a d refuse to still after i keep personally showing whats up they still get no body to help me i have been having stomach aches runs sleeping all day long not wanting to wake up hurting everywhere angury hair will not grow fatique crying depressed and head hurts no appitate what so ever just so sick .

kosia November 20, 2015 - 9:34 pm

I smelled something weird when I opened the door and couldn’t figure out where it was coming from. It turns out my bathroom sink (master bath) i opened it an inhaled a horrible smelly thing and saw black mold. One time a contractor said sink was not installed properly and home warranty company said that made it out of warranty but he didn’t elaborate. It was during that boom. Nothing much happened and now I opened the window and closed the door and will sleep on the couch. I wonder how much it costs to remove the mold if they just remove the cabinet? i am having trouble paying my mortgage and was planning on selling my house. this is just really really weird since house has always checked and out we are in a drought in the west so it is kind of weird it is growing,. it is black at the bottom edges of the cabinet. What kind of mold has that stench?

stephanie November 27, 2015 - 5:50 am

I have had mould growing in my home and is coming through thick and black I have been in this council property for over 4 years and over that period I have been severely ill with chest infections ear infections headaches being over tired all the time I just hate my flat period but the council won’t help move me and my 4 year old but there willing to come round and paint cover it with mould paint but in my opinion that just covers it up and not actually getting rid of it.. We have very high humidity in the property and I have been blamed for this because I don’t dry my floors when I mop. I don’t put cold water in my bath before the hot and cooking with lids on my pans etc all excuses so the council can save money.. if the buildings were built properly then we wouldn’t get mould!! I’m sick of it

Karrie Davidovics February 8, 2020 - 3:55 am

I use to work for an office and while working there my hair started falling. The office found tons of white stuff lingering on chairs all over the office. I was always sick when working there. I went on disability in October and was laid off during my fmla period. Recently my chest has a gurgling wheezing sound, sinuses swell often and I haven’t had my period in three months. I always feel nausea. I had developed sores on chin often thinking they were pimples but the hurt and filled with liquid. I still don’t feel like myself. Please help me. I hope I don’t have mold poisoning or asbestos poisoning. I was there two years.


Leave a Comment

Want The Inside Scoop?